Friday 24 February 2017

Eastern Food Bazaar

When the Rand is low but the hunger is real, we sometimes go to Eastern Food Bazaar. It's not fancy nor is it gourmet, but you certainly get value for your money. I was introduced to this place by my friends Jane and Justine. I wasn't really into it back then but I visited now and then for lunch when I worked in the CBD. When I met my husband he liked the place too so we ended up going there together.

If you're vegetarian then there's quite a wide selection for you but not as much of you're vegan, but it's still quite good. I will share with you the yummies we had the last time we went there.

We tried out two new dishes and had something we always get just incase we were disappointed.  So here they are:

First up was the uttapam masala onion...
I wasn't very impressed with it. It didn't taste bad. It's just not what I wanted. Or maybe I expected it to taste a different way. It's a potato pancake of sorts made with rice flour and topped with onions and a tomato sauce. Hubby and Mzo loved it though. So nothing went to waste.


Next up was the veg manchurian...
Now this was quite pleasant to the palate. It was supposed to be spicy but it wasn't.  That was a bit disappointing. It also had bits of either paneer/ halloumi type cheese so we had to pick that out. It also had these meatball lookalike type things and I'm actually not sure what it's made of. It doesn't taste like your regular soy but it was ok. The sauce and noodles were great. The veggies were nice and crispy. I hate it when they're soggy so I was very happy with that.

Then down to the regulars :

My absolute favourite is the paleshwari naan. I can eat it just as it is. It goes nicely with that cabbage it's served with. So simple yet so delicious. It's like a naan type bread but it's stuffed/filled with coconut shreds and black sesame seeds. It's just an absolute delight. As much as it's yummy on its own it goes well with the veg curry we had.

This is usually a potato and pea curry and it comes with rice and dahl. I really love it. It's one of those dishes that taste the same everytime you eat it. I'm not crazy about the dahl  though, its quite bland, but hey, it comes with the dish so who's gonna say no to free food? Mzo loved it and ate mostly that and rice.

At the end of the day all of us were happy and stuffed and still had some leftovers to spare. And the best part: we got all this food for roughly R130. So when you're hungry but the pockets are kind of empty, try Eastern Food Bazaar.

No comments:

Post a Comment